You guys have heard I like to shop, right? I would love to turn my shopping talents toward our future child, but it’s virtually impossible to do when we don’t know the age or gender of the bambino (race either, but that doesn’t factor into shopping).

Shopping for baby clothes is out of the question. I could buy gender-neutral clothes, but if we adopted a 2-year-old, newborn onesies would be pretty useless.

Same deal with car seats, bouncy seats, and other baby paraphernalia. I’m entertaining myself doing research on the big purchases – we’ve picked out a video camera, and we’ve pretty much decided on a Britax Marathon car seat, though that’s mostly for a slightly older kiddo.

But still, it’s frustrating to go to the mall and see clothes with puppy dogs and pawprints on them and not be able to buy them!

I only have two avenues to relieve my shopping frustration. The first is random-stuff-babies-need-regardless-of-age-or-gender. There are only so many things that fall into this category, especially since I don’t want to overdo it with toys. So far I’ve bought a green froggy bath towel and this fabulous find:

What child doesn’t need a Goonies Never Say Die bib?

The second avenue is books, books and more books. My plan is to gradually build a massive, unrivaled-in-the-annals-of-history children’s book library for the Little Goonie. I recently went to Barnes and Noble with my schoolteacher friend, and she gave me an education on which books and authors are must-haves. Our friends across the street already gave us a few delightful books, too.

Other than that, I just want the same books I loved as a kid, which were many. So far, I have the Velveteen Rabbit, Danny and the Dinosaur, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (based on the Claymation movie and also just a really awesome message on celebrating our differences), an illustrated version of Alice in Wonderland, Mother Goose, and a selection of Little Golden Books I bought on eBay (including Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree and The Many Faces of Ernie).

I’m keeping track of all the books I want on my Amazon wishlist, so I can buy them slowly one or two at a time while we wait. Whenever I come across a good book or remember one from my childhood, I pop over to Amazon and add it to the list.

So if you guys would oblige, I’d love to hear some of your favorite children’s books – from your own childhood or your child’s. Help me feed the wishlist!

Edited to Add:
Here are some of the books already on my wishlist!

Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss
Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale by Karen Katz
The Tales of Beadle the Bard by J.K. Rowling (already have all the Harry Potters!)
The Poky Little Puppy (a nostalgic Golden Book favorite) by Janette Sebring Lowrey
The Monster at the End of This Book (best book ever) by Jon Stone
The World of Peter Rabbit (box set … looking for a cheaper version) by Beatrix Potter
Pooh Library (four-volume set) by A.A. Milne
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (hint: there’s a main character in this book with our girl name)
Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
Arthur Spiderwick’s Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You (such fun illustrations!) by Holly Black
Raggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle
A Bargain for Frances by Russell Hoban
Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly by Jane O’Connor

Also, I forgot to mention that I come from a packrat family and therefore still have all my childhood Barbie dolls and, yes, books, including my complete works of L.M. Montgomery.

posted by K | filed under Adoption, Shopping Disease | 13 Comments

Comments

13 Responses to “Goonies Never Say Die”

1. jenny on November 17th, 2008 8:44 pm

Any book by Shirley Hughes.She’s a British author/illustrator and I love her stories. Especially “Dogger”. Her drawings are so real – the houses are always messy, and the babies dirty with wet diapers…my kids loved them too!

2. LisaCarol on November 17th, 2008 9:00 pm

Here are two must-haves: The 20th Century Children’s Book Treasury (ed. Janet Schulman, pub. Knopf), and Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics. One of them was out of print when I last bought them as baby presents, but I found it on alibris.com. They work for babies, toddlers, and on up. My 6 yo (IVF baby) reads them to me now. They are good for traveling since you can carry a dozen books in one big package, and they are hard to lose. Best of luck as you wait and hope — Infertility is hard.

3. Chaz on November 17th, 2008 9:09 pm

Some are for a little older audience, but here a few that stick out from my own childhood, and some of my family:
    Chris Van Allsburg “Jumanji”
    Dr. Seuss too many to name, I never read a bad one.
    Maurice Sendak “Where the Wild Things Are”
    Virginia Hamilton “House of Dies Drear, The”
    L. M. Montgomery “Anne of Green Gables” “Anne of the Island” “Anne of Avonlea”
    “Black Beauty” (Can’t recall the Author)
    John Bellairs – All were pretty good.
    Sterling North “Rascal”
    Judy Blume “Tales of a forth-Grade Nothing” “Superfudge”
    Louis L’Amour “Lonesome Gods”
    Rosemary Welles “Through the Hidden Door”

I taught from some of these, as well, and they were well-received.

Cheers!
    Chaz

4. Christi on November 17th, 2008 11:15 pm

If you like dogs, you should read the “Carl” books. no words at all, for the most part, its just carl, the dog, taking care of baby for the afternoon, etc. Funny and i really loved the illustrations. I found this book as a grown up. however, the one book i really remember as a child as the ‘first one” that got me turned on to books.. was A fly went by” by Mike McClintock. I can still recite you pages of this. “I sat by the lake, I looked at the sky, and as I looked, a fly went by. A fly went by, he said “oh dear” He said “oh my and shook with fear..” I found about a year ago a book called Birthday Moon, and it was so charming, and of course, in rhyme. I recommend that too.

5. t in hd on November 18th, 2008 1:40 am

Well, for older kids (especially girls), the Little House series and the Anne of Greengables series are must haves. It was SO much fun sharing these childhood favourites with my own oldest daughter. Many of our all time favourites in my children’s own library are german, which isn’t much help to you, but two books, which are especially loved and for littles are “Each Peach, Pear, Plum” and “Peek-a-boo” (alternately titled “Peepo”), both by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. Also, any books by Eric Carle–great stories, lovely pics, and two more (english) favourites of my kids are “Ten Apples” and “Fox in Socks”, both by Dr. Seuss.

The Britax Marathon is an excellent choice and worth the $$. You can use it from infancy up through grade school (60 lbs.). We’ve owned Britax seats for all of our kids since the first was a baby and have a Marathon for our youngest.

It will fit an infant up through Kindergarten and longer, allowing you to keep your child in a 5 pt. seat longer, before moving to a booster seat, which is a step down, safety-wise. We’ve owned Britax seats since my youngest was a baby (with the exception of two Fisher Price seats, but unfortunately, they aren’t made anymore) and we love them. We now own a Marathon for the youngest. If your child comes to you as a newborn, depending on how small s/he is, you might want a baby seat for the first few months, but you can move to the Marathon relatively quickly.

6. Joyce on November 18th, 2008 1:09 pm

Robert McCloskey — Best known are:
    Blueberries for Sal
    Make Way for Ducklings

Through the looing-glass, et al

Goodnight Moon (for the very young).

7. Lindsay D on November 18th, 2008 3:05 pm

I love that you want to have a huge book collection for your little one! I started collecting childrens books before I was married and we now have a book case full and no baby yet!

I would recommend: Dooby Dooby Moo by Doreen Cronin, Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney, Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw… ooh and Goodnight, Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.

All are fantastic read alouds from infant to school aged and beyond.

Lindsay

8. natalie on November 18th, 2008 7:39 pm

jenny’s in the hospital (it eased my fear of hospitals) http://www.amazon.com/Jennys-Hospital-Look-Look-Golden-Books/dp/0307118894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227058539&sr=8-1
    and i’m a 3rd grade teacher so i love easy picture books that have deeper meanings…
    scarredy squirrel, no david!, koala lou i do love you, fireflies, fly away home (not the movie), mailing may

9. Jocelyn on November 18th, 2008 7:41 pm

I am a big fan of the Madeleine series of books. The first one with the girls hiding a lost dog in an orphanage is a classic.

10. Lenise on November 19th, 2008 7:38 pm

I loved Harry the Dirty Dog (Gene Zion) and Are You My Mother? (P.D. Eastman- the boys also enjoy Go, Dog, Go (and my boys do too). We also enjoy Frances- we have the bedtime and Bread & Jam books, though my favorite was always the “Bargain”- I think I had bought it… I’ll have to see if I can find it.

A friend found a great book called Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes. And there’s always The Little Engine Who Could.

These are all geared towards the younger crowd, since my oldest is 4. There are so many great childrens’ books out there, I really have to restrain myself. I would buy up Books-A-Million if I didn’t!!

11. Annette on November 20th, 2008 12:12 pm

I actually find most of my children’s books at the thrift store. Who can pass up a hardcover Velveteen Rabbit for $.69? Not me!
    I asked my kids, and they recommend anything by Margaret Wise Brown, for the very young, esp. The Big Red Barn and The Runaway Bunny; Syd Hoff for the early reader; all of the Beatrix Potter series (individual little books are so much more fun!); H.A Rey’s Curious George (my son specifies the older ones, not the new) and others, like Pretzel; anything by Virginia Lee Burton (Mike Mulligan, etc.); Helen Lester’s A Porcupine Named Fluffy and Tacky the Penguin; the Frances books, by Lillian Hoban; Harry the Dirty Dog books, by Gene Zion; never cared for Paddington, but loved Michael Bond’s Olga da Polga series; the Freddy books by Walter R. Brooks; Heidi, by Spyri; The Little Princess, Little Prince (or Little Lord Fauntleroy), The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett (with Tasha Tudor ill.!); Any E.B. White; L. M. Alcott; I could go on. I just measured and I have 40+ linear feet of children’s books, from board books to young adult. Game on! There’s even an elementary level home school curriculum based on classic children’s literature called Five In a Row, by Claire Lambert. We loved it.

12. JEnnifer on November 20th, 2008 2:09 pm

Ezra Jack Keats. Especially “Whistle for Willie” and “The Snowy Day”! I LOVED those books when I was small.

13. Numbers Silvera on February 3rd, 2011 10:17 am

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.