After doing the treadmill first thing this morning (by first thing, I mean 9:45 … I am thankfully back to my schedule of staying up till 2 a.m. and waking up at 9-something), I channeled that hey-I’m-up-off-the-couch-doing-something energy into part 557 of cleaning up and organizing our pigsty of a bedroom. That involved the following:

• Unpacking the last few items from a suitcase I took on a trip seven months ago (just in time for the winter scarf and fleece jacket in there to be needed again)
  • Sorting a heap of clothes on the bench at the foot of the bed that, again, had been there for months
  • Discovering under some junk a box containing several small Christmas presents my parents gave Darwin last year.
  • Organizing my many, many pairs of tights neatly in a box by color (brown, burgundy, green, navy, black, red, purple)
  • Cleaning out the backpack I carried on my flight to Germany last February. It still contained the sticky rejects of the candy we bought in the train station, along with a few squashed granola bars and the edelweiss pin from our Sound of Music tour.
  • Adding two more pairs of shoes to the donation pile.
  • Finding a convenient place to hang my bathrobe.
  • Killing an enormous roach (after shrieking like a girl in a horror movie), the kind that always pop up occasionally around here in the winter, no matter what.

As if seeing roach guts – something I try to see as rarely as possible – wasn’t gross enough, I also made an unusual discovery when I went to clean out the bottom drawer of our antique dresser.

I bought this Eastlake dresser – with matching bed and nightstand – at an auction a couple years ago. It took me several months of ownership before I ever cleaned out and papered the top two drawers and turned them into my underwear and swimwear/lingerie/hosiery drawers. I didn’t have an immediate need for the bottom drawer, so I wimped out and left it be.

Today, as I was contemplating the overflowing mess that was my swimwear/lingerie/hosiery drawer, the lightbulb went on. Duh, I could move the swimsuits and coverups (of which we have a surprising amount, since my parents have a swimming pool and we go there a lot in the summer) to that bottom drawer and have room in the middle drawer to actually organize my lingerie and hosiery.

First, to get to the bottom drawer, I had to move 10 pairs of shoes out of the way. I moved the summer pairs into the spare bedroom (soon to be nursery … eek, gotta find somewhere else to put my off-season wardrobe), tossed a couple pairs into the giveaway box, and just shoved the rest aside.

The drawer didn’t look too bad inside except for a mysterious object in the corner. Since we found a mouse skeleton in the wall, I’ve been cautious about picking up mysterious objects around the house, so I picked it up with a paper towel.

Lo and behold, the object nestled in my paper towel was a human tooth. A molar to be exact.

Just think: All this time there was a human body part in my dresser drawer.

I would probably be more grossed out if I hadn’t just finished dealing with my own heap of grossness. It’s actually kind of fitting considering the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink quality of our bedroom.

And now I’m just curious – whose tooth is this? How old is it? How long has it been rattling around in this drawer?

And what on earth do I do with it?

posted by K | filed under Mysteries, Simplify | 13 Comments

Comments

13 Responses to “Long in the Tooth”

1. Sabrina on November 7th, 2008 4:06 pm

I suggest you put it under your pillow. I don’t think the tooth fairy cares who it belongs too…she’s just in the business of buying teeth. :)

2. Jackie on November 10th, 2008 11:03 pm

I suggest you grow up! From what I have read on your web site, you are nothing but a spoiled brat who is not fit to raise a child! You are to worried about your precious clothes and shoes. Do you really think a baby or child cares about where you need to put your crap! You are going to learn very quick that it will NOT be about you anymore once a child comes into your life. That is if God even choose’s to let you be so lucky!

3. Kelly on November 10th, 2008 11:15 pm

Wow Jackie. You are a judgemental jackass. I suggest you keep your self-righteous opinions to yourself and no longer post comments on this blog. Kristin is putting herself out there with these blogs, being honest about her life- good and bad. She is making a clear effort to organize her house and life to better prepare for a child. That doesn’t seem very selfish to me.

4. K on November 10th, 2008 11:20 pm

Oh, Jackie, Jackie, Jackie. If you don’t like this blog, please feel free to make use of the back button. It is located in the upper lefthand corner of most browsers.

5. Mrs Marcos on November 12th, 2008 10:31 am

Maybe it was Jackie’s tooth and she’s mad you have it and she can’t get it back?

6. Lenise on November 12th, 2008 1:39 pm

Wow, was that a joke or what? Besides being rude, that’s just wrong. Being a parent doesn’t mean you don’t count anymore, and people who raise their kids that way do them a huge disservice. That’s why there are so many confused young people out there who can’t deal with the real world. I will pray for you, Jackie. You are obviously bitter, and I’m guessing regretful. That doesn’t excuse you for maliciously attacking Kristin, though.

I will now resume my regularly scheduled lurking.

7. Christy on November 12th, 2008 10:08 pm

You know, It does seem like she is more concerned about where to put her clothes than a new child coming into her life.

8. t in hd on November 13th, 2008 6:48 am

I rarely comment but have been reading Kristin’s blog for quite a while now (years?) and it’s clear to me that Jackie and Christy haven’t because they obviously didn’t get the intended humour in Kristin’s comments. A pity you two didn’t read a bit more before commenting. Well, Christy, anyway. Jackie, I invite you to crawl back into the dark hole from whence you came. The world is a better place without people like you. Take your seething, green-eyed jealousy (oh yes, your bitter words have betrayed you) and exit stage right.

9. Christy on November 13th, 2008 1:28 pm

I have been reading for a while now thank you. It is my personal opinion that she is a little self centered. Everyone is entitled to there opnion. Jackie was a little harsh, but some people are just more blunt than others, if you cant take the critizing along with the rest then you dont need a blog online for All to see.

10. Lenise on November 13th, 2008 1:44 pm

And everyone is a “little self-centered”. That is MY opinion. If I’m reading this right, K is a little overwhelmed by the chaos in her home (which has likely gotten worse during her crazy October). Maybe it’s just my self-centeredness or maybe it’s got more to do with my chaos, but I identify heavily with this post.

Really, guys, I bet there are better things for you to be doing than trying to make people feel bad.

11. Teresa on November 13th, 2008 5:22 pm

Wow! I just clicked on the comments and was quite surprised at the nature of the remarks. I think we have all had those moments when our surroundings were a mess. I was getting ready for P.E.O. last week and thought it looked like I had not dusted for a year. My home looks much better now. You just roll up your sleeves and get to work. As a retired teacher and mother of two, I think it is okay to think of yourself when raising a child. Catering to a child’s every wish does not make a healthy person out of him or her.
    I also thought my children and students you don’t have to say everything that pops into your head especially if those words are hurtful. We are not put on this Earth to hurt one another but to lift each other up. End of sermon.

12. Jen on November 14th, 2008 1:17 am

Wow! Did I just stop by in the middle of a cat fight?? My two cents from a mother of a 9 month old…blogging keeps me sane and if someone doesn’t want to read about my lame attempts at cooking or decorating my house, then log off. Don’t leave nasty little comments…and playing the whole God card was seriously unnecessary.

K-I have a Queen Anne that has some serious magenta carpet issues. I feel your pain! Love your site!!

13. MARJORIE WRIGHT on November 30th, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Kristen, I just read these comments (I discovered your blog about 2 weeks ago and have enjoyed many hours at work thanks to you!) and I am HORRIFIED that Jackie and Christie are such ignorant sluts. There I feel better. You are just like 95 percent of women who are parents OR child-free. What is wrong with these people who can’t enjoy shopping,shoes,stuff and create a little domestic chaos in the process?? Can’t they see that you are a sweet and very loving person- I recognize that in you in many ways but most especially the way you rescued Millie and Stanley! I’m originally from Birmingham,live in Northern Virginia now and was home to spend Thanksgiving with my family and really considered looking you up after the game yesterday (ROLL TIDE) but instead had to head back to Bham to catch a flight to DC. Yikes! I guess that makes me sound like a stalker! but I’m just a Southern woman who is quite familiar with Eutaw’s location (and actually took photos of Kirkwood about 10 years ago when on a drive with my parents). Anyway I wish you the best and although I know it must hurt ,try to ignore those nasty SELF_RIGHTEOUS women.(They’re probably jealous of your house,travels,husband etc..)