This morning I paid $45.65 for a tank of gas. In the South, the gas is usually a little cheaper, so a gallon of regular gas goes for the low low price of $2.999.

It’s times like these when the commute sure is a heartbreaker. My desperate hope is that someone will hurry up and invent a teleporter. I don’t see why this hasn’t happened yet. Scientists of the world, get on that please.

In the mean time, I’m driving like an 85-year-old man in a spotless beige Mercury Grand Marquis. Last night on the way home, as I was creeping along the Interstate, the other vehicles swooped around me and sped on toward the horizon. But I just smiled smugly to myself. Burn up that $2.999-a-gallon gas, people. Just burn it up.

But this morning, with the $45.65 receipt in my pocket, I’m feeling less smug.

posted by K | filed under Grumpy Bear, Wishing | 7 Comments

Comments

7 Responses to “I Want a Teleporter Right Now”

1. Josh on August 11th, 2006 3:52 pm

I think it was that episode of Star Trek I saw when I stayed up too late the other night, but I’ve had teleporters on the brain, too. Think of all the time you could save!

Of course, there would be drawbacks. Suburban sprawl would grow unchecked. Homeland security would institute manditory pre-teleport pat-downs. And the energy companies would buy the teleport companies then artificially limit teleport bandwidth to raise prices. ;)

2. jm@houseinprogress on August 11th, 2006 9:38 pm

Wow. Could you mail us some gas? Up here in Chicago we’re paying $3.58 a gallon.

Where has all of the money that we are supposed to have been investing in solar/turbine/alternative fuel power gone?

3. Tackert Victorian Home Restoration on August 12th, 2006 9:44 pm

We saw gas prices at around $2.79 today in NW Houston. Sounds like we’re getting a better deal in Texas. That doesn’t make it any less painful on my bank account, however.

4. Christine on August 14th, 2006 2:07 pm

Wow! $3.58 in Chicago? I’m feelin yer pain, that must be awful!

Here in the Cincy area it’s about $2.98.
    I drive 20 miles to work, and like you, Kristin, I go slooowwwwwer than I used to, as slow as they’ll let me go before the other cars start running over me!

I’m lovin my electric lawn mower, about now ~

5. Kristin on August 15th, 2006 3:56 pm

$3.58? Ouch! I have to get gas again tomorrow, and I’m dreading it.

I wish we had better public transportation in Alabama. If only I could hop on a train in the morning. Of course, I’d probably be late for it every day and end up driving.

6. merideth on August 15th, 2006 7:25 pm

haHA! 3.61 in the bay area. take that!

kristen, go see “Who killed the electric car”…that oughtta get your blood pumping!

7. Construction Deal on August 21st, 2006 12:34 pm

$3.25 here in Los Angeles – but I made the decision in June to add a BMW motorcycle to the stable (I’m making the payments with what I was spending on gas for my Grand Cherokee each month.)

It only costs about $20 to fill it up and it lasts me about 3 weeks. But, it’s really hard to bring groceries home on my lap…