I’m having a bit of a moral dilemma. I’ve taken care of the shopping for the plumbing, but now it’s time to consider lighting. But lighting from where?

What we want is pretty simple – an over-vanity fixture to fit the existing space … two or three down-facing shades hanging from a round bar, nothing boxy and nothing that looks like it came out of a show home for RE/MAX’s latest garden home complex.

But what I’m considering flies in the face of all that I just said – I found a fixture at Lowe’s of all places. It looks pretty much how I want, plain and simple, except the finish is brushed nickel rather than polished (our shower stuff is polished). And it’s just $35.

Then there’s the glossy, lovely Rejuvenation catalog that landed in my mailbox yesterday. Four options stand out, all of which will end up costing $200-$300. But I could get them in polished nickel, and they’d be higher quality than the Lowe’s fixture.

And oh dear, just look at the picture!

So what’s a girl to do? I want to buy the Rejuvenation one, mostly because I love Rejuvenation and haven’t had an excuse to buy lighting from them yet.

And anyway now that I’m seeing the two side by side, the Lowe’s one really isn’t just right, is it? There are lots of little differences, all of which contribute to make the Rejuvenation fixture look like a million bucks (rather than $200) and the Lowe’s one looks like plastic in comparison. And just watch that polished nickel shine!

I guess this wouldn’t be as much of an issue if lately I hadn’t been spending money like a woman possessed. I just bought an expensive painting on eBay … and yesterday a new purse with the perfect little spot for my cell phone … and some new clothes … and okay, three pairs of shoes … and there’s a big antiques auction coming up Thursday night.

Now it’s time to stop spending money on myself so I can afford to plunk down the big bucks for the good light fixtures. The clothing and accessories industries will suffer, but I hope they know it is for the greater good.

Edited to add:
There’s one more option, a 2-light Rejuvenation fixture rather than three. It would save money on both the fixture and the shades, and anyway I just remembered the previous vanity fixture was a 2-light. I think that would be sufficient.

Here’s the one I like:

Schoolhouse Electric also has a similar option, but it’s a little too Colonial Revival.

posted by Kristin | filed under Bathrooms, Lights | 16 Comments

Comments

16 Responses to “No More New Shoes for a While”

1. Jordana on July 12th, 2006 9:45 pm

I’d buy the cheaper one, myself. I might love the other one more, but those things can be upgraded later and the money you save can be put towards more fun and pretty stuff.

2. Sabrina on July 13th, 2006 9:48 am

I agree with Jordana…I’d buy the one from Lowe’s. I actually like the Lowe’s one better anyway but the fact that it’s THAT much cheaper is definetely seductive. :)

Also, I doubt anyone would ever notice that it’s not the same finish…the shower stuff is over in the shower…this will be above the sink…not side by side really.

And you CAN always upgrade later…after you’ve made all the necessary purchases to make this a functional room again.

3. Leah on July 13th, 2006 11:28 am

Sorry, Kristin. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I also agree that you should go with the Lowes fixture. The more expensive fixture just doesn’t seem all that much different to me to justify the cost. Actually, now that I think about it, all of our bathroom lighting ended up being from Lowes. They had a much better selection than Home Depot for the same price.

4. Greg on July 13th, 2006 12:30 pm

Personally, I would get the better one from Rejuvenation. The cheap one from Lowes, being that you’re putting it in a bathroom, will probably start to rust within a year. Why waste the money on a disposable fixture and THEN go out and buy a good one. Plus there is the pain of having to take it down and put up the new fixture.

I have 2 gas tanks on my truck and someone stole one of my gas caps. I went and bought a new chrome gas cap at Kragen that looked just like the original. The original one from 1973 that wasn’t stolen still looks shiny and new. The one I bought a Kragen 6 months ago is covered in rust. Just because something looks good doesn’t mean it is.

5. Tackert Victorian Home Restoration on July 13th, 2006 3:54 pm

Personally, I also like the one from Lowe’s better for the look and the price.

But, hey, I’m interested in what kind of art you bought on Ebay!

Shari

6. SmilingJudy on July 13th, 2006 7:49 pm

I put polished nickel from Rejuvenation in the bathroom that I just re-did….erm, well, it’s almost done. Anyway, drooooooool…..

I love it. It’s like bathroom jewelry. I’m with Greg, but we’re clearly in the minority.

7. elise on July 13th, 2006 10:14 pm

I’m casting a vote for the Rejuvenation fixture. The quality of their fixtures and customer service is fantastic. Maybe other people won’t notice the difference, but you will…

8. Maggie on July 14th, 2006 3:25 pm

so did you get good stuff at the auction? get the light from lowes. that means more shoes :)

9. Jocelyn on July 14th, 2006 4:08 pm

I’m with Rejuvenation also. I can’t abide cheap lighting and of course it looks good in the photo. I recommend you go to the store and see it in person. I can vouch for Rejuvenation as to the quality. We’ve ordered quite a few fixtures and had the ones in our bathroom for 3+ years now and they still look perfect! Plus polished nickel will age gracefully and never rust! Okay, sorry for the hard sell-I don’t work for them really I swear. I just love their lights and good lighting. And I have sacrificed clothese shopping and shows for them myself big time :)

One caveat- whatever you do, it will be lovely because you have great taste :)

10. Chris on July 15th, 2006 7:44 pm

I have light fixtures from Rejuvenation and they are NOT any better made than the cheap ones I also have. I would be hard pressed to buy from them again unless it was something very special that I couldn’t get find elsewhere.

They are extremely overpriced for the quality. ‘Course that is just my not so humble opinion.

11. mindy on July 16th, 2006 2:58 pm

I can offer no help….. we’re having a similar dilemna. I desperately want to order Rejuvenation but have yet been able to justify this expense to myself. We don’t have a store anywhere near us, so fondling the merchandise prior to buying is not an option :(

I do like the Rejuvenation light better, but I think it’s mostly the shades I am reacting to. The bell-shaped ones look more “you” to me for some reason.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on… maybe you’ll be my tipping point for buying the Rose City schoolhouse lights I’ve been eyeing!

12. amanda on July 18th, 2006 8:22 am

I have a similar light fixture from Lowes in my downstairs bath. It’s functioned perfectly for two years, no rust, no problems at all. Many of their shades are interchangable, so you may be able to order the Rejuvenation shades if you like them tremendously better.

13. allison on July 18th, 2006 9:32 pm

I like the idea of buying the Lowe’s fixture and looking for more upscale shades for it. With a little leg work you’ll have the best of both worlds. Good luck!

14. Virtual Insanity on July 20th, 2006 4:35 am

Hello, just happened upon your blog. I also just happen to have a very similar light fixture as the one you show from Lowe’s for $35.

I got mine from Costco for $20. It comes with 3 different finishes (brushed nickel, polished and gold). I love them. They are well made and I’ve had no problems with them.

They were also easy to install. I did it myself.

Good Luck!

15. Kristin on July 20th, 2006 10:32 am

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice, even though I’m as confused as ever! :) Much to think about …

16. Anonymous on July 24th, 2006 10:04 pm

Try Hudson Valley Lighting. They have well built and beautiful fixtures for a fair price. Lowe’s looks (and is)cheap. –pat