I need your help, O Blog Readers. We’ve been invited to a Halloween party (at an old house … see there, I’m staying on topic) with a ’70s theme. Since I was not born yet during that decade (help me now, hate me later), I need ideas for a costume to wear.

My mom owns a costume and party store, so you’d think I would be all set. Certainly, we can get the accessories – disco ball earrings, fake chest hair – from there. But one of the hosts is planning to go as Wonder Woman, and I like the idea of dressing up as some kind of pop culture figure rather than Pimp and Ho. Ideally, D and I could figure out coordinating costumes.

(Halloween_lover – this is your time to shine!)

The Parameters:

• I haven’t worn a size 6 since 1992, when I wore pleated plaid skirts with color-coordinated shirts tucked in. So I need something non-skimpy. Darnit, that means the track shorts and knee socks with stripes are out.
  • D likes Dukes of Hazzard (we have NOT and I WILL NOT see the movie), but if we dressed up as a couple of rednecks, people would think we’d stumbled into the wrong party.
  • I like disco.
  • Tall shoes are a must.
  • Anything that would require extensive hair and makeup machinations on my part is a bonus.
  • Funny is good but not essential.
    posted by K | filed under Uncategorized | 10 Comments

Comments

10 Responses to “Playing Dress-up”

1. amanda on September 16th, 2005 10:43 am

How about an Angel and Charlie, 25 years later- it could be really fun, they could have let themselves go really bad (paint on wrinkles pad your clothes so that they’re overweight, or they could look great- it’s up to you!

2. Gary on September 16th, 2005 11:02 am

How about Elton John and Tina Turner, they were popular then. Oh, what’s that? YOU wanted to wear the platform shoes.
      Tell Darwin to put a toilet seat over his head and go as Elvis!
      Thank you, thank you very much!

3. Anonymous on September 16th, 2005 11:48 am

How about dressing as members of the then-popular Australian band ABBA? Or were they popular in the 80s? A little fuzzy here. Maybe your mom has costumes like that available. Have you seen “Mamma Mia”? It’s a theatrical adaption of ABBA’s repetoire. Good luck!

4. Anonymous on September 16th, 2005 11:49 am

Or The Captain & Tenille. (I’m showing my age here!)

5. John on September 16th, 2005 2:01 pm

I can’t believe I know this, but ABBA was a Swedish band, not Austrialian.

As for the rest of the 70′s, there was Elton John, Siouxsie & the Banshees, the Sex Pistols and the whole punk rock thing, Star Wars, Queen, Andy Warhol, KISS, Blondie (1980′s?), David Bowie (Glam-Rock in general), Fleetwood Mac,Happy Days, Mary Tyler Moore, Led Zeppelin and what not. If you need more ideas, I’m sure the internet is full of stuff on the 70′s.

Have fun!

6. Greg on September 16th, 2005 3:19 pm

For a couples thing, I think Mary Tyler Moor and Lou (Ed Azner) her boss from the Mary Tyler Moore Show would be fun. Maybe you don’t have to match each other. Darwin could go as Jon Travolta from Saturday Night Fever and you could go as Farrah Fawcett Majors. Or, even better would be Lee Majors from the 6 Million Dollar Man and Farrah Fawcett Majors from Charlie’s Angels. Notice the same last name. They were married and both were 70s Pop-Icons. You would need the Farrah wig and the some how recreat the 6 Million Dollar Man’s sound effects: Be be be be be be

7. Susie on September 16th, 2005 3:36 pm

I know she’s not your body type, but Sonny and Cher should be instantly recognizable to anyone. Luckily Cher wore clothes with a bit more coverage back in the 70s.

8. Patricia W on September 16th, 2005 5:55 pm

How about David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust phase? No. that won’t work. Tony Orlando and Dawn? Donnie and Marie? John Travolta and that rich chick he won the dance contest with? Dean Martin had the Gold Diggers (I wanted to be one when I was a wee lass). Flip Wilson and Geraldine? Jethro and Ellie Mae? Tarzan and Jane? Hmmm. disco, disco. Denny Terrio of Dance Fever? I know I didn’t spell that right. Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison? No, big downer. Hmmm. Jim Bray and Linda Blair from Roller Boogie? Boogie Wonderland…..

9. Chris on September 17th, 2005 3:10 pm

We’ve been invited to one with an 80′s theme, so I understand what you are going through LOL.

All the ideas I had have already been said, so I am of no help. Good luck, can’t wait to hear what you pick.

10. halloweenlover on September 20th, 2005 5:56 pm

I am so sad that I was sick and missed this post!!! Forgive me!

I actually am good at Halloween stuff, like decorations or invitations, but terrible at costumes. I was thinking about being wonder woman this year, actually.

Hmmm, how about Darwin being Hulk Hogan or he could be Michael and you could be Kit the black car? Do you remember that show? Or Mork and Mindy? I forget if these are 70s or 80s?

How fun! I think we might have a halloween party too, so I also need a good costume. I’m so jealous you have your mom as a resource.