When we moved in, the kitchen had no microwave or dishwasher, let alone a space for them. Fortunately, Darwin is handy with tools and electricity. He removed the old vent hood and installed the microwave over the stove. It looks - and works - wonderfully, and it gives us more room to reach the pots on the back eyes of the stove.
Sink and Dishwasher
We've bought a dishwasher, a new cast iron sink, disposal and faucet. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool with "Quiet Partner III" technology (they were having a rebate). The sink is a Kohler Efficiency in bisque. We got the cheaper sink (we considered the Deerfield) so I could get the faucet I wanted, the Price Pfister Marielle in oil-rubbed bronze to match the dark doorknobs in the house.
Darwin had to cut the front and floor of the cabinet by the sink to fit in the dishwasher. Underneath the floor of the cabinet was the original pine floor. The rest of the floor has been covered with a layer of plywood and then '70s brick vinyl. The wood floor had at least two layers of very chippy paint on it - red and more recently brown. After a little cleaning, the colors looked quite vibrant!
The day after Thankgiving, Darwin and his dad worked on installing the new sink, disposal and faucet. They removed the old stainless steel sink and faucet, then had to finagle some pipes to install the new disposal and sink. All told, the project required three trips to Lowe's and one to Banks & Company Hardware.
Darwin ran the water for the first time in the new sink. The faucet worked beautifully, but the pipes leaked around the new connections at first. Darwin and Alistair investigated and figured out the problem. OK, Alistair didn't help much with the problem-solving part.
The next day, Darwin had to go under the house to connect the electricity for the dishwasher. He wired the other end directly to the dishwasher. After testing that it worked - it did! - he put the insulation on and slid it into the hole in the cabinet. Now we have a working dishwasher!