Cabinets: The Ongoing Saga
Now he'll have to move the hinges in a little to make the doors meet in the middle. Oh, the drama.
And there are 10 more sets of doors to go after this! Surely there's an easier way. We'll gladly entertain suggestions.
Wait! I just went to re-examine the hinges and take a photo from the inside, and I think I found something useful. The inside of the hinges don't appear to actually touch the edge of the door frame when the door is shut, so there's room to scoot them over a little without having to cut the doors. I think. Darwin's gone for the day, so I'll have to run this by him when he gets home.
Anyway, while Darwin worked on the doors, I painted. It's kind of a haphazard process. Some things have been primed, some have been primed and painted with two coats, some have been wood-filled and sanded but not primed, and some haven't even made it to the hole-filling stage.
Most of the inside faces of the cabinet doors have been painted now, so when Darwin installs the hinges, he won't have to take them back off again.
As much as I hated painting with oil in the past, I'm really loving it for this application. The foam roller recommended by the paint store guy is the perfect tool for applying it on cabinets. It goes on fairly smoothly, and then - because it's oil paint and has a little "give" - runs together or sinks together just a bit. The result is an amazingly unblemished finish. And the roller is much faster than a brush and sort of fun.
Mmm, I love it.